Making Membership Meaningful
The sessions give branch presidents, membership chairpersons and other interested members the opportunity to share ideas about successful strategies aimed at membership retention and growth.
Consider scheduling a Making Membership Meaningful roundtable workshop for your area by contacting Gillian Holzhauser-Graber, AAUW OHIO Membership Vice President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get membership recruitment ideas online
Meanwhile, scan the ideas below, shared by branches who have already held a Making Membership Meaningful roundtable workshop in their area, and try them out.
For more recruitment ideas, visit our
Tips for Making Membership Meaningful
- Concentrate on diversifying your branch. Start a cultural interest group.
- Affiliate with or take classes at local colleges/universities. Participate in other organizations’ events and activities to gain additional contacts.
- Do homework on your community to find like-minded groups. Contact the Chamber of Commerce, the League of Women Voters, Business and Professional Women and others.
- Promote your branch contact information and programs in community calendars, newspapers and on cable TV by sending out news releases.
- Look for pockets of educated women in your community. Contact them and invite them to a meeting.
- Find ways to fund membership dues for those who cannot afford them.
- Offer a prize for reaching a branch membership goal.
- Raffle off a free membership.
- Hand out cards/brochures/bookmarks with AAUW and branch information.
- Remember young, isolated mothers, and try to accommodate them.
- Membership Key: Person-to-Person invitation.
- Have a branch website.
- Survey members for program ideas and plan programs to interest them and prospective members, especially including AAUW Value Statement/Mission.
- Invite someone from your local newspaper to speak about changes in media/reporting, and suggestions for coverage for the Branch. To find contact information for media around the country, visit the AAUW Member Center. Log in, click on “Tools and Guides,” then click on “Media Guide.”
- Hold a branch meeting on your area campus and invite faculty.
- Partner with other organizations who share AAUW objectives.
- Fundraiser Idea: Trip to Amish country to buy cheese, which your branch will sell at home. It helps fund some members’ dues and sends girls to Be Wise Camp.
Past Making Membership Meaningful Skillshops
- Northwest District: Nov. 7, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Findlay Inn and Conference Center in Findlay.
- Central District: March 13, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., MCL Cafeteria Meeting Room, 60 Westerville Square, Westerville.