AAUW Ohio Branch Meetings and Events
- Heights-Hillcrest-Lyndhurst Branch will meet Jan. 30 at 1 p.m. at the Beachwood Branch Library, Meeting Room B, 25501 Shaker Blvd. Margaret Reardon of the Beachwood Branch of Cuyahoga County Public Library will show you some books in her favorite
Dewey categories, and in the spirit of the system that connects one thing to another, also show some surprising ways your reading experience can be enhanced in 2016.
- Delaware Branch will meet Monday, Feb. 8, at 7:15 p.m. for a discussion of the book Orange is the New Black, My Year in aWomen’s Prison by Piper Kerman at the home of Karen Rainey. Please R.S.V.P. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Northeast Branch will meet Saturday, Feb. 13, at 11:45 a.m. at the Steele Mansion in Painesville for lunch and a tour of the mansion. Cost is $25 per person. RSVP to email@example.com by Feb. 3.
- Medina County Branch will hold its 14th Black History Month program at Second Baptist Church of Medina, Thursday, Feb. 25 at 7 p.m. Second Baptist will host the event in the sanctuary, 451 Bronson St., Medina.
- Medina County Branch will hold its Sister-to-Sister Conference at the Medina Hospital Sunday, March 6. This year’s event for girls ages 11-14, which is coordinated by AAUW Medina County Branch and seven other area organizations, is titled: “Lights–Camera–Action: Middle School”. Featured presenter will be the current Miss Ohio, Sarah Hider, from Wooster. For more information and registration brochures, visit http://medinacounty-oh.aauw.net/sister-to-sister
Northeast Branch will meet Tuesday, March 8, for a “Lakeland Women’s History Month Art Tour” with Mary Urbas, curator of “Women IX”, at Lakeland Community College. The group will have a cafeteria dinner at 6 p.m., followed by the tour.
Tiffin Branch will meet March 10 at 7 p.m. in the Junior Home Room at the Tiffin-Seneca Public Library for a talk by Dr. Karen Jones, associate dean of the College of Education at Heidelberg University, on math and science education for girls.
Delaware Branch will meet March 12 at 9:30 a.m. for a program on “Solving the Equation: The Variables for Women’s Success in Engineering and Computing.” This will be a joint meeting with Worthington Branch at All Saints Lutheran Church, 6770 North High St. Worthington.
- Clark County Girls invited to March 14 STEM event
- Cleveland Branch will meet Saturday, March 19, for a program with Virginia Beckwith from Genesis House, a women’s shelter in Lorain, at Cleveland State University,
2121 Euclid Avenue. The time will be announced later.
- Zanesville Branch and the Muskingum County Library System will host a presentation by noted regional historian Dr. Lorle Porter who will present a history of the life of one of Ohio’s first women physicians, Dr. Jane Payne, on Saturday, March 26, at 2 p.m. in the lower level auditorium, John McIntire Library, Zanesville. The event is free and open to the public. Reservations are required by calling (740) 453-0391, extension 116 or 132. Jane Payne, M.D., practiced medicine in Mount Vernon, Ohio, from 1860 until her death in 1882. Payne’s story is one of courage in the face of hardship and disability, according to Dr. Porter who recently released a book, Jane Payne, M.D., Unexpected Healer. The book is published by New Concord Press and will be available for purchase at the talk. The presentation is part of Women’s History Month programming offered by Zanesville branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) and the John McIntire Library.
- Northeast Branch will meet April 5 for a program featuring Dr. Morris W. Beverage, president of Lakeland Community College. He will speak on “Helping Students Stay in College.” He will discuss how Lakeland might position itself to meet the increasing demands of students, especially disadvantaged students, at a time of diminishing resources. Social time begins at 5:45 p.m., with dinner at 6 and the talk at 6:30 p.m. Parking is at the Holden Center and the dinner and program is in Room HUC C119 right off the main entrance (when you walk into the atrium, it is immediately to your right). RSVP by Tuesday, March 29, to Sandy Luther.
- Cleveland Branch will meet April 23, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Fairview Park Library’s Conference Room C for updates on the recent state convention and remarks from Meryl Johnson, candidate for the State Board of Education for Ohio, District 11. Light refreshments will be served.
- Heights-Hillcrest-Lyndhurst Branch will meet Wednesday, April 27, at 6:45 p.m. at the Beachwood Library and all are welcome to join the group in a discussion on what AAUW is and how we can further AAUW ‘s goals.
- Northeast Branch will meet Tuesday, May 3, to hear Mary Wynne Peaspanen, executive director of the Family Planning Association of Northeast Ohio, speak on “Legislative Challenges to Women’s Health.” The location is Pastina Rustic Italian Restaurant, 9354 Mentor Ave. (across from Walmart). Dinner begins at 6:30 p.m. Cost is $24 per person. RSVP to Sandy Luther by Friday, April 29.
- Springfield Branch will meet May 9 at 7 p.m. at High Street Methodist Church for a potluck dinner and awards.
- Tech Savvy at Stark State May 14