AAUW Ohio Branch Meetings and Events
- Medina County Branch will hold a Membership Carry-in Picnic Supper, Thursday, Aug. 21, at 6 p.m. at Chippewa Lake, picnic deck on Bungalow Bay Blvd. Bring a dish to share – appetizer, salad or dessert. Iced tea and water will be available and table service will be provided. The committee needs to hear from you by Aug. 15. Let them know if you will attend and what you will bring. Contact Sue Whitfield, email@example.com. Directions to the picnic, from Lake Rd.: turn west on Longacre Lane; take second left (just past sign for the Oaks Restaurant) on Bungalow Bay Blvd. Continue on Bungalow Bay—it becomes one way—until you get to the community area. Park by the tennis courts or playground. You can use 3 Bungalow Bay Blvd. as the destination address in a GPS device. In case of inclement weather, everyone will be notified and the picnic will be re-located to the shelter at Hubbard Valley Park, 8600 Hubbard Valley Rd., Seville, 44273.
- Delaware Branch and the League of Women Voters of Delaware County will hold a Voting Matters event Tuesday,
Aug. 26, 7-8:45 p.m., at Delaware County District Library, 84 E. Winter St., Delaware. The groups will honor the passage of the Civil Rights Act 50 years ago and look at where we are today.
- Springfield Branch will meet to discuss human trafficking Monday, Sept. 8, 7-9 p.m. at Christ Episcopal Church, 409 East High. We’ll hear the latest on human trafficking as it affects our community, the Miami Valley, our nation and the world from Wendy Holt, Executive Director, Clark County Child Advocacy Center and Laura Baxter, Executive Director, Project Woman. We’ll act to free human trafficking victims by putting rescue information in 2,000 bars of hotel soap while we listen to Wendy and Laura. S.O.A.P. stands for ‘Save Our Adolescents from Prostitution’ and is an outreach program designed to provide hotels, bars, and strip clubs with resources to help them identify sex trafficking when they see it in their establishments. The S.O.A.P. project is sponsored by Be Free Dayton. Visit the branch website for RSVP details.
- Zanesville Branch will kick off its 2014-15 year on Saturday, Sept. 13, at 11:30 a.m. with a tour of Zane State College’s newest building, the Advanced Science and Technology Center. Leading tours will be Zane State Sciences Department Chair Kathryn Hooper Boyd and Zane State Biology Instructor Elizabeth Kline. Special guests include regional middle-school girls who attended BeWise Camp (and their parents). Branch Membership Vice-President Pam Kirst is organizing this luncheon meeting.
- Northeast Ohio Branch will open its 2014-15 year with a program entitled “Election Prep” that will inform area citizens about state government actions that have affected women and families on Tuesday, Sept. 16, at 6:30 p.m. in the meeting room at Morley Library, Painesville. It will feature a summary of the Ohio Legislative Voting Record 2014, which reviews the impact of a number of key bills on public education, women’s health and voting rights; an explanation of the changes that have been made in voting days/hours and procedures as well as the status of the lawsuits lodged against them; a report about local efforts being made to motivate minority voter registration and turnout; and an opportunity to meet AAUW Ohio endorsed District 7 Ohio State Board of Education candidate Michael Charney. RSVP by Sept. 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Circleville Branch will meet Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 6 p.m. for a program with Attorney Melody Steely on Family Law-
Legal Advocacy/ What do you need to know? RSVP for dinner. Cost $11.
- Medina County Branch will meet Sunday, Sept. 28, 1 p.m. at the Blair Center, Westfield Center, for its 50th Anniversary Luncheon and Celebration. Special keynote speaker: Dr. Jerry Sue Thornton, Professor Emeritus, Cleveland Community College.
- Chillicothe Branch will hold its Annual Used Book Sale Sept. 30 – Oct. 4. Daily specials will be offered, and more than 25 genres of books will be available to readers of all ages. Location: 80 E. Main Street, Chillicothe.
Circleville Branch will meet Oct. 28 at 6:30 p.m for a program with Emily Otterbacher on the Victims Advocate Program: End Violence Against Women. RSVP for dinner. Cost $11.
AAUW Ohio Branch Fundraisers
Important Notice: AAUW Wins Federal Regulatory Battle, Protects Branch Book Sales
- Middletown Branch will hold its 2014 Annual Book Sale March 6-9, 2014, at 2 South Main St. (the southwest corner of South Main and Central Avenues). AAUW Middletown is now collecting gently used books, puzzles, games, DVD’s, children’s books and music. Donations may be dropped off on Tuesday mornings from 10 a.m. to 11:30.a.m .(also Saturday mornings beginning in January). Park at the side entrance and follow the signs. For information and to arrange for book pick-up call 513-424-7551, 513-424-1120, or 513-424-5458. Proceeds go towards scholarships for area students.
- Medina County Branch Used Book Sale, April 23-25, at 5016 Grande Shops Blvd, across the avenue from Home Depot at the north end of Medina. Members Preview Night: Tuesday, April 22, 6-8 p.m.
- Mansfield Branch will hold its Book Sale Oct. 13-18.