AAUW Ohio Equity Day & Convention 2014
A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men. – Gloria Steinem
Join AAUW Ohio for a weekend filled with informative presentations, interactive sessions, and powerful keynote speakers designed to invigorate members. It is our hope that members return to their branches more informed, more empowered, and more committed to lead in AAUW missions.
Theme: The Year of Our Voice: Advocacy and Action
Dates: April 11-April 13, 2014.
Schedule Highlights: Download the full schedule in draft form.
- Friday, April 11
- Registration: 4-8 p.m.
- Cocktails and Convos: 5:30-7 p.m. The public is invited and can RSVP online.
- AAUW Ohio Board meeting: 6:30 p.m.
- All-Convention Read, Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture by Ariel Levy: 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 12: Equity Day
- Registration: 8-11 a.m.
- Breakfast: 7-9 a.m.
- Program: 9:15 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
- Awards Banquet: 6:30 p.m.
- President’s Reception: 9 p.m.
- Sunday, April 13: Convention
- Registration and Credentialing: 8-11 a.m.
- Breakfast: 7-9 a.m.
- Program: 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Hotel Accommodations and Reservation Deadline: Hotel reservations must be made by the newly extended deadline of March 17 to guarantee the rate of $99/night+tax. Ask for the AAUW rate when making reservations. Call The Courtyard by Marriott at 937-322-3600.
Registration Deadline: March 23. For registrations sent after that date, please add an additional $10 to your total. Scroll down for more registration details and the Equity Day & Convention 2014 Registration Form.
Weekend Highlights & Featured Presentations:
- All-Convention Read: Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture by Ariel Levy
- Silent Auction and Raffle: This year’s fundraiser will include a raffle for a a 32-inch LG LED Model No. 32LN530B television set. Raffle tickets are $5 each or 6 for $25. They will be available for purchase that weekend from any Philanthropy Committee member. Proceeds from the raffle will benefit the Ohio Century International Fellowship. When completed, the Fund will provide support for women from other countries to visit and study in Ohio. It will also provide support for women in the U.S. to study abroad.
- Jamie Bryant, editor and developer KIKI Magazine. KIKI magazine is designed for young girls with anemphasis on creativity, self-expression, STEM topics, but doesn’t include the sexuality and consumerism found in most youth media.
- Peggy Hanna, local activist. Hanna has been active in her community advocating and acting on community issues from her early Vietnam-War protests to her current work with City Council to protect water resources.
- Jamie Miracle, NARAL. Miracle will share the latest developments on Pro-Choice work in Ohio. The 41st anniversary of Roe v. Wade is here and AAUW Ohio has work to do!
- Deepti Gudapati, AAUW Director of Member Leadership Programs. Gudapati will facilitie several in-depth, interactive sessions designed to provide members with resources and tools to support our local branches.
- Beth Pinhero, AAUW Ohio Tech Trek. Pinhero will share the details about the direction of TECH Trek in Ohio.
- Mary Krueger, Director Women’s Studies Center, BGSU, will lead a session on domestic violence support.
- Melissa Cropper, Ohio Federation of Teachers President. Cropper will focus on the future of public education today for students, for educators, and for communities.
- Maria Maisto, New Faculty Majority. Maisto will participate in a panel discussion with Cropper centered on the choices and challenges in education.
- Jackie Evangelista and Karen Rainey, AAUW Ohio Public Policy. Our Public Policy team will address the state of Common Core today and why the discussion is still relevant.
Registration Costs and Optional Awards Banquet
- Daily Registration Fee of $60 per day: Saturday, April 12, and Sunday, April 13. Includes Continental Breakfast, two breaks and lunch.
- Optional Awards Banquet: Saturday, April 12, from 6:30-8:00 p.m. The $35 fee for this banquet is separate and IN ADDITION to Equity Day and Convention Day registration costs. Includes full plated dinner and gratuity. Menu choices include Grilled Salmon, Grilled Fillet of Beef and Chicken, and Stuffed Portabello Mushroom with Quinoa. You may select your menu choice on the Equity Day & Convention 2014 Registration Form.
Registration and payment: Two methods of registration and payment are available:
- By mail: Download the Equity Day & Convention 2014 Registration Form, and mail the completed form with your check made payable to AAUW Ohio to: Susan Marie Bigaila, 217 Johnson Hall, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403.
- Online: Pay online by choosing the appropriate options on our PayPal page. In this case, you may email your completed Equity Day & Convention 2014 Registration Form to email@example.com.
Convention Hosts: Southwest District
Local Arrangements Chair: Cheri Crothers, SW District Coordinator
Programming Chair: Christine Siebeneck, Vice President, Programming, and President-Elect
More AAUW Ohio Equity Day & Convention 2014 Links:
- Apply for 2014 Branch Awards
- Equity Day & Convention 2014 Draft Schedule
- AAUW Ohio Orbit Winter 2014 Convention Issue
- Equity Day & Convention 2014 Registration Form
- Open invitation to Cocktails & Convos on April 11
- Communication Stars Award deadline extended to March 17