AAUW Ohio Equity Day and Convention 2011
Learn about opportunities for women in business, women in STEM and women across the globe, and get new ideas to improve your branch at the AAUW Ohio 2011 Equity Day and Convention, April 9-10 at Quaker Square Inn, 135 S. Broadway Ave. in Akron. The University of Akron’s Office of Inclusion and Equity is co-sponsor of the event.
Linda D. Hallman, executive director of AAUW, will be the closing speaker at the two-day event held at Quaker Square Inn, 135 S. Broadway Ave., on the campus of the University of Akron in Akron. Northeast District will host the event.
- Read an overview of the two-day event.
- Download the full program.
- Book Discussion: Join us for a Friday, April 8, book discussion of Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Pulitzer Prize winners Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. Get the details of this 7:30 p.m. book discussion, which will be led by AAUW Ohio member Holly Norton.
- Awards Banquet: An optional Saturday evening Awards Banquet will be held at 7 p.m. for an additional cost of $30. A full-plated dinner will be served, and gratuity is included in the price. Food choices include Pistachio-encrusted Chicken Breast at $30; Oven Roasted Salmon with Pineapple Salsa at $30; and Chef’s Choice Vegetarian Option at $30. Download the Registration Form and submit it with your payment to attend this event.
- The registration cost is $120 for the full two-day AAUW Ohio 2011 Equity Day and Convention. The fee includes all programs, refreshments, and lunch for both Saturday and Sunday.
- The registration cost for those wishing to attend either Equity Day or Convention is $60 per day, which includes all programs, refreshments, and lunch.
- An April 9 Awards Banquet is available at an additional $30 cost.
- Students may attend Equity Day programs for free. The buffet lunch is optional at a cost of $17.
- General Registration: Deadline is March 19
- Register online: Download the Registration Form as a Word document, fill it out, pay online via PayPal, and e-mail your completed form to Nancy Stellhorn at email@example.com by March 19.
- Register by mail: Download the Registration Form and mail it with your check made payable to AAUW Ohio 2011 Convention to: Ms. Nancy Stellhorn, 1259 Croyden Rd., Lyndhurst, OH 44124 by March 19.
- Student Registration: Deadline is March 19. Bring student ID to the event.
Students can attend Equity Day programs on Saturday for free, with the exception of meals. They can register online by downloading the Student Registration Form, completing it, and e-mailing it to Nancy Stellhornat firstname.lastname@example.org by March 19. They can also mail their completed form to Nancy at the address on the Student Registration Form. Students may purchase the $17 buffet lunch that will be served that day by choosing that option on the registration form and paying for it online via PayPal.
Quaker Square Inn, 135 S. Broadway Ave. in Akron, is a converted grain silo complex that is on the National Register of Historic Places. Guest rooms are located within a grain silo . The inn is part of The University of Akron campus. Get directions.
The round guest rooms at the Quaker Square Inn, 135 S. Broadway Ave., Akron, 44325, are unique, as they are located within grain silos. They are available for $95 a night plus tax. Amenities include complimentary breakfast, high-speed Internet, premium cable TV, coffee maker, hair dryer and enhanced radio. Ask for rooms reserved by AAUW Ohio when making reservations. Make your reservation early by calling Quaker Square Inn at 330-255-2367, or by visiting Quaker Square Inn‘s website. Reservations made before March 10 are guaranteed the AAUW Ohio rate.
Dr. Katherine Fell, President of the University of Findlay, will speak at the optional Awards Banquet at 7 p.m. Saturday, April 9. Her talk is titled, “A Time to Listen and a Time to Speak: The Seasons of Leadership.”
- Membership Awards
- Branch Program Book Awards: Send your Branch Program Booklets for the 2010-2011 Mission-Based Programming Awards to Deborah Wooldridge, 79 Nottingham Cross, Bowling Green, OH 43402 by March 1.
- Communication Star Awards: Get recognition for your branch as a 2011 Communication Star for its use of print and online communications and social media. Visit the Communication Star Awards page for guidelines and entry form. Deadline is March 1.
- Starz Awards
- Diversity Awards
Quick Equity Day and Convention links
- Visit the AAUW Ohio 2011 Equity Day and Convention page.
- Download the full program.
- Get your branch recognized at Awards Banquet April 9
- Students can attend Equity Day free!
- Bring a kid’s book to Convention for First Book
- Download the Student Registration Form.
- Download the non-student Registration Form.
- Pay online via PayPal.
- Get directions to Quaker Square Inn.