Become an informed Branch Public Policy Chair
How to become informed
- Sign up to receive communications from the AAUW Action Network, which e-mails the Two-Minute Activist alert and The Washington Update.
- Read the Action Alert Newsletter. Of course, you may also do your own research on the issues by reading books, magazines and the Internet.
- As a Branch Public Policy Chair, before you can inform your members about the AAUW Public Policy Program and the AAUW Issue Papers, you must inform yourself by studying these sections of the AAUW Web site and by reading the “Key Ohio Issues” and “Pending Legislation.” Get the 2009-11 Public Policy Program Brochure.
- Assume that your members are not familiar with the AAUW Public Policy Program and work to inform them.
- Check out other resources available at our AAUW Ohio Member Center.
Ways to keep members informed
- Insert your own articles or those published on this Web site in your branch newsletter.
- Make announcements at meetings.
- Schedule programs for your branch about political issues important to women.
- Study issues in your Public Policy Interest Groups.
- Give new members a copy of the AAUW Public Policy Program brochure, which can be ordered at Shop AAUW . Branches may order 25 copies and pay only shipping charges.
- Forward the Two-Minute Activist alert and The Washington Update, e-mailed by the AAUW Public Policy and Government Relations Department, to your members who are online.
- If you have a sizeable contingent of members who are not online, take a few copies of these publications to your meetings for these members.