Stop Trafficking in Ohio
AAUW Ohio and its branches are working together to end human trafficking in our state. To learn more, access these online resources:
- Ohio Children’s Caucus Votes To Support Human Trafficking Legislation, March 14, 2014.
- In Obama’s Speech, Their Voices, Sept. 27, 2012, opinion piece by Nicholas D. Kristof in The New York Times
- Human trafficking law signed, June 28, 2012, story in the Toledo Blade.
- Rally: Stop human trafficking seeks greater oversight of the parlors in Warren, Nov. 3, 2011, story in the Warren Tribune-Chronicle
- Warren protesters: Regulate massage parlors, Nov. 3, 2011, story in the Youngstown Vindicator
- Massage Parlors Rub City Officials the Wrong Way, July 7, 2011, story on City Council and the Mahoning Valley Organizing Collaborative’s months of research into the trafficking problem in Trumbull County from WKBN news
- Commission Tackles Human Trafficking, April 26, 2011, story on trafficking in Trumbull County from WKBN news
- “NE Ohio Massage Parlors Investigated“: Ohio News Network piece on Asian massage parlors in Warren. Jean Waris and Jodi Macina, who are interviewed in the piece, are members of AAUW Ohio Warren-Trumbull County Branch.
- “Seeking Arrangement: College Students Using ‘Sugar Daddies’ To Pay Off Loan Debt,” Huffington Post, July 31, 2011
- The New Hotbed of Human Trafficking Is … Ohio, Feb. 11, 2010, change.org
- Child Sex Trafficking: Resources to Help Victims - from ABC News
- Seduction, Slavery and Sex - July 14, 2010, New York Times column by Nicholas Kristof
- Craigslist Pulls ‘Censored” Label from Sex Ads Area - Sept. 9, 2010, New York Times
- HB 130: The End Demand Act. Prohibits force, fraud or coercion; increases penalty for solicitation of a minor or developmentally disabled person to a third degree felony; eliminates defense of mistake of age; prohibits knowingly purchasing advertising space for sexual activity that depicts a minor; makes it unlawful to advertise practice of massage without appropriate state certification; allows closed-circuit testimony during preliminary examination hearings; and more.
- S.1301 - Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2011
- The human trafficking Safe Harbor Bill, H.B. 262, has been introduced in the Ohio House by Rep. Teresa Fedor of Toledo. It is intended to protect children who are victims of trafficking and to help them return to society. It requires that a minor not be charged with prostitution or incarcerated. AAUW Ohio supports this bill. Visit http://www.house.state.oh.us to ask your representative to support this bill. Read more:
- Human trafficking bill becomes law, Dec. 2010 story about Senate Bill 235, which created a new felony-level offense for trafficking people for sexual or labor purposes.
- Theresa Flores, author of The Slave Across the Street, gave the keynote speech about human trafficking at Leadership Workshop 2011. Read more.
- The Mahoning Valley Organizing Collaborative has joined forces to fight human trafficking statewide. The collaborative is working with AAUW Ohio Warren-Trumbull County Branch.
AAUW Ohio branch advocacy
- Heights-Hillcrest-Lyndhurst Branch hosts free forum on trafficking
- Three branches host human trafficking program
- Worthington Branch to hold trafficking workshop
- Elyria Branch holds trafficking program
- List of Trafficking Websites
- Human Trafficking Presenter Training Workshop
- Fifty-five Little Known Fact About Human Trafficking
- Human Trafficking Reading List
- Human Trafficking Web Links Handout
- Ohio Attorney General’s Report on Prevention and Intervention to Address Human Trafficking in Ohio
- Ohio Attorney General’s 2010 Human Trafficking Year End Report
- Ohio Attorney General’s Awareness of Human Trafficking Training Video
- Ohio Attorney General’s Report on the Prevalence of Human Trafficking in Ohio
- Ohio State Senator Theresa Fedor’s presentation on Human Trafficking in the U.S. at Leadership Workshop 2010, which included the AAUW Ohio Public Policy Luncheon
- Samar Kaukab Ahmad’s, executive director of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence, presentation on Ohio’s statewide anti-sexual violence coalition.
- Senate Bill 235
- AAUW Ohio Public Policy E-Newsletter – August 2010